So you’ve done the research, you’ve talked to your friends, and have finally decided that going to see a physical therapist is just what you need. Now that all those things are out of the way it’s time to prepare yourself for your first visit.
Just like most things when you go to see a physical therapist for the first time you might be a little nervous, simply because you are not sure what to expect. The best thing you can do is remember that we are here to help you – and make each visit as comfortable as possible.
I guess the best thing for you to understand that physical therapists are highly educated health care professionals who help their patients improve and/or restore mobility, reduce pain, and avoid surgery or long-term use of prescription medications.
What we do is help you examine and evaluate the conditions that limit your ability to move and function in your daily life. That being said, our goal is to maintain, restore, and improve your mobility, as well as help reduce your pain.
Here are some things that I think you should know…
Before Your Visit
– Make a list of any questions that you have for us. This will make sure that you get the absolute the best use of your time with us.
– Write down any symptoms you have noticed that you’ve had, and how long you have been feeling them. If you have more than one symptom it is best to start with the one that has been bothering you the most.
– Make sure that you have any relevant medical history written down so that you can share it with us, you never know what might help. This includes any medication you are taking, personal medical history, and family medical history.
– Carefully review the financial policy of the practice you have chosen to use.
– Ask questions if there is anything at all that is unclear about cost, or what is covered by your insurance.
– Make sure that you request to be provided with the financial policy if it is not presented to you. It is important that you understand this policy before you begin your treatment so there are no surprises.
So – now that you are prepared for you first visit – as far as research is concerned – the next thing that you need to know is what you should expect during that first visit. Well, if I wrote everything in one blog I would not have many blogs would I? Next blog will be published next week, and the top is “what to expect during your first visit”. In the mean time if you have any questions be sure to leave a comment below of contact us through our contact form online. We are always happy to answer anything, or give advice where we can.